Membership is open to anyone keeping bees or having an interest in the craft of beekeeping.
Beekeeping today is a fascinating and rewarding activity but at times can be challenging. Caring for bees, like caring for any livestock, can be affected by adverse weather, pests, disease and bad luck. Successful beekeeping requires some degree of dedication to acquire knowledge and understanding of bees and their needs. Also, in this global world with changing climate, it is necessary to keep up-to-date with developments. Membership of the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) is one of the best ways to access knowledge and keep abreast of the beekeeping news. Membership through joining a local branch has the added advantage of shared experience and personal support through the rough times as well as the good.
There are four levels of membership: Registered and Partner members are registered as beekeepers with BBKA and are covered by Bee Disease Insurance (BDI). Junior members are not automatically covered for BDI unless requested on the membership form. Local membership is for those without bees.
Depending on your level of membership you will receive:
- BBKA Membership which entitles you to a discount at National Bee Supplies, Okehampton.
- BDI certificate covering you against various third party liabilities and colony losses.
- Monthly issues of BBKA News from the British Beekeepers’ Association.
- 10 issues each year of Beekeeping the journal of DBKA.
- Access to the DBKA Members Section with association rules, contacts, useful information and a Directory of DBKA members.
- Invitation to attend meetings of the other DBKA branches (with prior agreement of branch secretary).
- Access to branch library of beekeeping books.
- We provide a stereo and compound microscope and accessories for members to borrow for home use.
- We provide group honey extraction days where club equipment and help is available to members.
- The opportunity to attend group training events.
- The opportunity to attend lectures, workshops and conventions.
Subscription Fees 2024
Registered (Full) Member . £31.00 (Inc. BDI up to 3 colonies)
Partner Member ………… £18.00 (Inc. BDI up to 3 colonies)
Junior Member ….….…….. £12.50 (BDI not included)
Local Member ……….. £6.00
For more information on membership categories see the attached subscription form below.
It is now possible to pay by bank transfer (see link to subscription form below) or you can send your completed subscription form to the Tavistock membership secretary (contacts page)
N.B. Additional colony BDI supplements are due for more than 3 colonies – see subscription form download below for details.